MS Server 2016 ADO not Working with v2017

TeeChart for ActiveX, COM and ASP
tlb1971

MS Server 2016 ADO not Working with v2017

Post by tlb1971 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:40 pm

I have Microsoft Server 2016 running IIS and newly purchased & installed TeeChart Pro v2017 for ActiveX environments.

When I try to run ADO ASP example, all I get is a black X in place of where the chart should be displayed. Here's the examples and results

•Return template Chart Example, returns chart but with no data
•ADO Example (uses TeeChart's example system DSN database) , black X
•Example to show a variety of Chart Series types , works
•Page showing 4 different export formats, Webiste cannot display the page error
•Save time on serverside coding, black X
•Create a static Chart image export with hotspots, works

I'm in the process of trying to upgrade an ASP based website using v5 of TeeChart and thought I would try the examples first.

Marc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MS Server 2016 ADO not Working with v2017

Post by Marc » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:31 pm

To correctly run the ADO example, please check that you have a System DSN entitled "TeeChart Pro System db" managed via the 32 ODBC Manager.
ODBC32bit.png
ODBC32bit.png (25.98 KiB) Viewed 17253 times
I'll followup with a check on the other examples and get back to this thread.

Regards,
Marc Meumann
Steema Support

Marc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Marc » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:11 pm

The other examples where you have noted problems are affected by server variables. This seems to be caused by some variation in how VBScript is behaving. As a check, if you hardcode the <%=ServerPath%> path in the TeeFromWebClient.asp file the example should work correctly.

eg.

Code: Select all

Sub Window_Onload()
 TChart2.Import.LoadFromURL("http://localhost/_yourvirtualsharename_/TeeFromWeb.asp")
 TeeCommander2.ChartLink = TChart2.ChartLink
 TChart2.AddSeries(0) 
end sub
Also check the Mappath variable in the CompareOutput.asp file. It needs to match the name of your virtual share:
ie.

Code: Select all

AppPath = server.MapPath("/TeeChartAX/") & "\"
We'll remake the examples to match current VBScript/ASP behaviour and post them for download.

Regards,
Marc
Steema Support

tlb1971

Post by tlb1971 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:17 pm

One of the first things I did was check that, it was indeed there but still the demo didn't work. But I think I did figure it out although I don't believe ASP ADO demo will work, maybe because it's 32-bit and should be 64-bit? But I think it may have to do more with the binary write for the chart. The only chart I could get working was based on the Create a static Chart image export with hotspots which uses a session variable to deliver the binary chart. Session("ExportImg") = AChart.Export.asPNG.SaveToStream then that's pulled in the intro script:

if Request.QueryString("GetChartImage")=1 Then
Response.BinaryWrite(RetrieveImage)
else
CreatePage
end if

Function RetrieveImage()
RetrieveImage=Session("ExportImg")
End function

And the only way I could get anything to work was to

1. create my own virtual directory in IIS to point to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steema Software\TeeChart Pro v2017 ActiveX Control\Examples\IIS & Asp, even though I had the option to install the demos enabled during setup.
2. find and register msinet.ocx via regsvr32 on C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msinet.ocx. (Hint: If you have VB6 SP5, it's in the CAB file.)
3. doing a regsvr32 on C:\Program Files (x86)\Steema Software\TeeChart Pro v2017 ActiveX Control\64bit files\TeeChart201764.ocx.

Now my knowledge of IIS is just above moron so perhaps I don't have something configured correctly but the install routine provided is awful. There should be at least a mention the virtual directory having to me manually created, a mention of lacking msinet.ocx as well as an automated install of the 64bit ocx. But I can't understand how anyone has all the demos working on MS Server 2016. I also wonder if I'm the only one using MS Server 2016 because there seems to be so many problems.

Marc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Marc » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:16 pm

Here is the updated asp script folder.
TeeChartAX2017.zip
(73.52 KiB) Downloaded 1098 times
Apologies for the delay, the aspects of the scripts had been superseded by some features on current IIS7.

The demo folder is a copy of the public demo here (most examples in the demo require TeeChartAX 2017 registered with Windows and Internet Explorer to view the live charts on them):
http://www.steema.net/TeeChartAX/ASPHome.htm

The public demo resides on x64 Windows 2012. It uses the 32Bit ODBC driver to access the datasource (as screenshotted in my earlier post on this thread).

A comment on MSInet.ocx. (http://www.teechart.net/support/viewtop ... =1&t=16710)
This file isn't included by Microsoft on later versions of Windows but is compatible when installed. We'll make a note in the tutorials with respect to that. The omission of the file is widely commented on forums and is still available at different download locations.

Regards,
Marc
Steema Support