System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Catastrophic fa

TeeChart for ActiveX, COM and ASP
vbphil

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Catastrophic fa

Post by vbphil » Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:26 pm

When I try to do a server side SaveToJPEGFile I'm getting a catastrophic error, System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Catastrophic failure.

This is the method that causes it:
chart.Export.SaveToJPEGFile("D:\inetpub\wwwroot\qisr4\images\teechart.jpg", False, EJPEGPerformance.jpegBestSpeed, 100, 550, 320)

This is a ASP.NET application running on Win Server 2003, IIS6. It is happening with both ActiveX version 5 and 6 of TeeChart. Also, it was working fine until Front Page Server Extensions, 2002 were installed.

Any ideas of where to look?

I have since removed the server extensions.

Regards, -phil

Pep
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pep » Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:28 pm

Hi Phil,

can you save a straight-forward text file to your folder
D:\\inetpub\\wwwroot\\qisr4\\images\\? If you can't then you probably have a permissions problem of some sort.

vbphil

Post by vbphil » Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:36 pm

Thanks Pep,
Well, I can save to the folder from the console but I haven't tried from within the application. I did try changing the permissions on the image folder to everyone but it didn't help.

One additional discovery I made is that the ASP examples that are shipped with TeeChart have a problem as well. I installed the full TeeChart program on the server so I can run the examples there from the console. The examples that contain server side code and access the file system don't produce a chart in the browser. No error is given, just the red x where the image should be. Two of the samples are from the Serverside VBScripted section, Save time on serverside code and Create a static Chart image export with hotspots. All the other client side samples seem to work on the server.

IIS6 is structured differently with all it's security precautions. In IIS4 or 5 I've always been able to troubleshoot a security problem by starting with applying everyone for permissions. The fact that the ASP examples are not working as well has me confused.

vbphil

update

Post by vbphil » Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:36 pm

I was able to get the ASP sample app, Save time on serverside coding, to run by setting the IIS subweb, TeeChart6, as an application. Must be when the TeeChart installation creates this subweb it doesn't make it an application, just a virtual directory.

The other sample, Create a static Chart image export with hotspots, now returns an error; HTTP 500 - Internal Server Error.

With any luck maybe I can get asp debugging to work and see if I can get more info. This may lead to a solution that fixes my ASP.NET catastrophic error as well.

-phil

vbphil

Solution

Post by vbphil » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:27 pm

Well, all the ASP examples are working. While trying to get ASP debugging to work on .net from Visual Studio Net 2003 it just started to play. It happened after I created a share to the C volume where the examples are installed. My default web root is on D. It still worked after removing the share. go figure. Hard to tell what's going on, this is my development server where I do a lot of strange things.

I also fixed my initial problem with the catastrophic error in ASP.NET. Turns out the Network Service account needed write access on the images folder. Security is not my strong suit. I was initially applying Everyone to write for troubleshooting but I guess because the specific permission for the Network Service was read only it took precedance. I was also assuming the Internet User Account would need the write access but maybe the TeeChart COM object is running under Network Service. Anyway maybe someday I'll find a really good book on how IIS really works inside the OS.

Consider this topic fixed.

Regards, Phil

Pep
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pep » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:57 pm

Hi Phil,

ok, thanks for the advise.
I'm glad to hear that . :wink: