Do I have to pay to get bugs fixed?

TeeChart VCL for Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero RAD Studio, Delphi and C++ Builder.
Bert B.

Do I have to pay to get bugs fixed?

Post by Bert B. » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:30 am

Hello,

I received the following message:
This is a reminder to inform you that your TeeChart Pro v2010/11 VCL / VCL.NET with 100% Source Code subscription will expire on xx/xx/2012. The benefits of subscription renewal include continued access to all new major and minor version updates and access to support at the Steema managed forums. Should you choose not to stay with us to renew your subscription please let us extend our gratitude for your custom to date. You are entitled to continue to work with the software, however access to current support services and new version updates provided by Steema will no longer be available to you.

If you wish to continue to work with the latest resources and support from Steema please could you renew your subscription.
Does this mean that I have to pay to get these bugs fixed?
http://www.teechart.net/support/viewtop ... =3&t=12834
http://www.teechart.net/support/viewtop ... =3&t=11920

The TChart3D component was one of the reasons for upgrading. The bug was reported in December 2010 and it is still not solved. I have contributed where I could. The only thing that Steema advises me (and others) is to be aware at the forum and, well, send them more money.

I would at least expect an update where these bugs are solved, after that, renewing the subscription sounds logical.

Regards,
Bert

Marc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Do I have to pay to get bugs fixed?

Post by Marc » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:06 pm

Hello Bert,

Thanks for your comments. Apologies for the delay getting a resolution for these issues to you. TV52015320 is important and should have been resolved by now, we'll fix that and get it to you asap, you won't require subscription renewal for that. We'll take a look too at TV52015912 and get back to this thread with any comment or commitment.

Regards,
Marc Meumann
Steema Support

Marc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Marc » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:59 pm

Hello Bert,

So far we have a solution for TV52015912, the Bar shading issue. We'll finish checks and send that to you.

We're having more problems with TV52015320, the TChart3D issue. We are unable to reproduce the problem on any of our test machines so far. That makes it very difficult to debug it. We still have a few more machines on which we can try it but so far we've made no progress.

I'll keep you informed.

Regards,
Marc
Steema Support

Bert B.

Post by Bert B. » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:38 am

Hello Marc,

10 months have passed since we talked about this issue:
Marc wrote:TV52015320 is important and should have been resolved by now, we'll fix that and get it to you asap
What is the current status of this issue? Do you have something available for beta testing or release?

Regards,
Bert

Marc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Marc » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:40 pm

Hello Bert,

Yes, sorry I owe you a reply on this. The issue was escalated and looked at at quite some detail but we could not find the cause of the problem, testing was paused for some time but we were still unable to find the cause with subsequent updates of the code. We'll try to get some closure on this asap. I'll get back to this thread.

Regards,
Marc
Steema Support

Marc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Marc » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:25 pm

Hello Bert,

We've found the cause of the problem. We don't yet have a fix but can suggest a workaround.

The problem was introduced with the RAD Studio versions that use Guidelines at designtime. The instruction for showing the Guideline is trying to reach into the TChart3D and causing the problem we have seen. We are looking for a way to block the call but in the meantime it is possible to continue to use TChart3D at designtime by disabling Designer Guidelines.

You can find the option here under the menu in the RAD Studio IDE:
Tools:Options:Environment Options:VCL Designer:Use Designer Guidelines

Sorry once again for taking so long to get here, it has been extremely difficult to track down.

Regards,
Marc
Steema Support

Bert B.

Post by Bert B. » Tue May 14, 2013 12:27 pm

Hello,

Has this issue been fixed in the update for Delphi XE4?

Regards,
Bert

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Thu May 16, 2013 10:08 am

Hi Bert,

I'm afraid the ticket hasn't been closed.
Does the workaround suggested work fine for you?
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software
Av. Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia (SP)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Please read our Bug Fixing Policy

Bert B.

Post by Bert B. » Thu May 16, 2013 10:17 am

Hello Yeray,

The suggested workaround doesn't work for me and isn't the solution to the problems. The first problem is that Delphi crashes when playing around with the TChart3D component, the second problem is if you are able to create an application it crashes on several PC's.
Please read all threads concerning TChart3D.
For example in the following thread I wrote what happens when I run an application:
http://www.teechart.net/support/viewtop ... t3d#p53357

Regards,
Bert

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Fri May 17, 2013 9:09 am

Hi Bert,
Bert B. wrote:The suggested workaround doesn't work for me and isn't the solution to the problems. The first problem is that Delphi crashes when playing around with the TChart3D component, the second problem is if you are able to create an application it crashes on several PC's.
Please read all threads concerning TChart3D.
For example in the following thread I wrote what happens when I run an application:
http://www.teechart.net/support/viewtop ... t3d#p53357
In the mentioned thread I see a unique problem. The one with the TV52015320 ticket assigned, concretely here.
Is this the second problem you are talking about? Please, post here the thread if another.
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software

Bert B.

Post by Bert B. » Tue May 21, 2013 10:10 am

Hello Yeray,

I am talking about ticket TV52015320. In the other thread the last reply is almost 2 years old and tells me to watch the forum, facebook, etc.
The problem exist during design-time and run-time. Turning off the guidelines is not a solution for me and even when that would work, it's only half of the solution because the application will always crash during run-time on my PC.

In the coming month I may upgrade to Delphi XE4 and need to renew my TeeChart subscription, but why would I do that if this bug hasn't been fixed. In the other thread I gave as much information I could about various PC and even offered to run a test application with debugging turned on.

What do you expect me to do now?

Regards,
Bert

Marc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Marc » Wed May 22, 2013 10:50 am

Hello Bert,

We're furthering checks on this. We hadn't received any feedback from you back in December and had assumed that the workaround was a satisfactory solution.

Regards,
Marc
Steema Support

Bert B.

Post by Bert B. » Wed May 22, 2013 11:53 am

Hello Marc,

The reason I didn't reply was because you only gave half of the solution. In the other thread I gave a list of the graphic cards of the various PC I tested a sample application.
If the compiled application doesn't run on all computers, what is the use of a design-time workaround?

Regards,
Bert

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Fri May 31, 2013 2:44 pm

Hi Bert,

We are unable to reproduce the problem with the current version of TeeChart in any IDE including XE4. Changes were made to the TeeChart OpenGL unit with relation to assertion errors. This may have had the required effect though we aren’t able to test on the complete comprehensive list of available graphics cards.
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software

Bert B.

Post by Bert B. » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:29 am

Hi Yeray,

That sounds like good news.

Thanks,
Bert