C++ XE4 Entry Point Missing

TeeChart VCL for Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero RAD Studio, Delphi and C++ Builder.
rgsolutions

C++ XE4 Entry Point Missing

Post by rgsolutions » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:21 pm

I just downloaded and installed your latest update (TeeChart 2014.10.140220 VCL/FMX) for XE4. When I start the C++ IDE processing, I get an "Entry Point Not Found" message and cannot use TChart.

I have installed this software as I always do. I first open the IDE and "Uninstall" the TChart components. I then take the IDE down and install the software. I then restart the IDE. When I do this, I get the entry point not found error. Once I get the IDE up (there are other missing entry points), I remove the TChart components and close the IDE. I then reinstall the last release that I can use (XE4 Beta from last April). When I bring up the IDE after this reinstall, all is working.

I have attached a picture of the error message for your reference.
Attachments
Entry Point Missing.png
Entry Point Missing.png (99.38 KiB) Viewed 9571 times

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: C++ XE4 Entry Point Missing

Post by Yeray » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:51 pm

Hello,

I've prepared a in a VM with a clean environment I believe similar to yours: Windows 8.1 x64 Ultimate, C++Builder XE4 with Update 1.
Here I've installed TeeChart v2014.10 and found no errors when I opened the IDE, nor when creating a new VCL project, adding a TChart to the form and run.

Have you tried to run the installer again? Have you tried to download the installer again?
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software
Av. Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia (SP)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Please read our Bug Fixing Policy

rgsolutions

Post by rgsolutions » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:44 pm

Your test process is not quite the same as mine. You are running 8.1 and the Ultimate version, and I am running 8.0 and the Professional version. I do not believe that these are causing the issue.

What is different is that you started with a new VM and installed the latest update. This is the first time that TChart is installed on your system. On my system, I started with TChart already installed (XE4 Beta from April 2013). I had to uninstall the old TChart version and install the new version.

To retest this situation, I performed the following actions:

1. Open the IDE and uninstall the TChart Components. This was done from the Component / Install Package menu bar option. I selected and removed the 'TChart Pro 2014 for FireMonkey Components', TChart Pro 2014 for VCL Components', and then 'TeeTree 2 Components'.

2. Closed the IDE.

3. Rebooted the system to ensure that any possible open DLLs are closed.

4. Manually removed the TChart files and directory.

5. Downloaded a fresh copy of the update from your web site.

6. Ran the binary installer, and the installation completed ok.

7. Ran the IDE and I got the same error message.

I suspect that something is still present from the previous install that is causing the issue.

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:50 pm

Hello,
rgsolutions wrote:Your test process is not quite the same as mine. You are running 8.1 and the Ultimate version, and I am running 8.0 and the Professional version. I do not believe that these are causing the issue.
Right, I doubt this difference could be relevant.
rgsolutions wrote:What is different is that you started with a new VM and installed the latest update. This is the first time that TChart is installed on your system. On my system, I started with TChart already installed (XE4 Beta from April 2013). I had to uninstall the old TChart version and install the new version.
I don't think this will be the issue either. Note we already have tested the installers with "dirty" machines.
I mean we have several machines here running different Windows versions (the majority now are on Win 8.1) with multiple IDEs installed and where we are constantly changing from a TeeChart version to another. If I made the VM was to check a clean system with a single IDE with only BCB personality.
rgsolutions wrote:To retest this situation, I performed the following actions:

1. Open the IDE and uninstall the TChart Components. This was done from the Component / Install Package menu bar option. I selected and removed the 'TChart Pro 2014 for FireMonkey Components', TChart Pro 2014 for VCL Components', and then 'TeeTree 2 Components'.
This is the most reliable way to uninstall the packages. Also note running TeeInstall.exe utility from the TeeChart installation does it for you if it finds the packages installed in the IDE, or installs them if it doesn't find them.
rgsolutions wrote:2. Closed the IDE.

3. Rebooted the system to ensure that any possible open DLLs are closed.

4. Manually removed the TChart files and directory.

5. Downloaded a fresh copy of the update from your web site.

6. Ran the binary installer, and the installation completed ok.
The process looks correct to me for a reinstallation of the component. As said before, we are constantly changing from a version to another.
Note in my case I don't use to remove the TeeChart files and directory. I just run TeeInstall.exe twice: one to uninstall the component from the IDE, and a second one to install the component present in the same folder as the TeeInstall.exe utility I'm running.
Then I open the IDE with no project opened and check all the paths.
rgsolutions wrote:7. Ran the IDE and I got the same error message.
Are you opening the IDE with no project loaded?
rgsolutions wrote:I suspect that something is still present from the previous install that is causing the issue.
That would be strange. Please make sure you are opening the IDE with no project loaded. If this loads the IDE successfully, but you get the error when loading a project with a chart, then the problem may that the project file contains a wrong reference hardcoded. To fix that I'm afraid you should manually edit the project file (with notepad or similar) and correct the wrong references.

Another tip that may be relevant is that, in Windows 8 it's better to run the installers and utilities such as TeeInstall or TeeRecompile "as administrator" so they can have the rights to copy the according files into the system folders.
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software

rgsolutions

Post by rgsolutions » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:03 pm

I have finally gotten to the bottom of the problem. It had to do with you last sentence:

"Another tip that may be relevant is that, in Windows 8 it's better to run the installers and utilities such as TeeInstall or TeeRecompile "as administrator" so they can have the rights to copy the according files into the system folders."

This is indeed the case of what was happening, and on a new install, the files would be copied correctly. It is only on an update that the files are not "replaced". Unfortunately, there was no message or warning given. When something like this can happen, there should be some means to ensure that the end user is aware of this, otherwise unpredictable things can happen (as demonstrated by this series of posts).

Since it most likely will be difficult to warn about privileges in the install program, the following is what I believe is now the safe procedure for "updating" TChart software as it will always work. It is a bit more work, but it will avoid any confusion.

1. Uninstall the TChart software from the IDE. This can be done by removing the entries in the Components / Install Package menu option, or by running the TeeInstall.exe program.
2. Delete or rename the old TChart directory to something else.
3. Delete the FMXTee* and Tee* bpl files from the System32 and SysWOW64 directories of Windows.
4. Install the new update.

This will be the procedure that I will now follow.

Thanks for the help.

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:02 pm

Hello,
rgsolutions wrote:
yeray wrote:Another tip that may be relevant is that, in Windows 8 it's better to run the installers and utilities such as TeeInstall or TeeRecompile "as administrator" so they can have the rights to copy the according files into the system folders.
This is indeed the case of what was happening, and on a new install, the files would be copied correctly. It is only on an update that the files are not "replaced". Unfortunately, there was no message or warning given. When something like this can happen, there should be some means to ensure that the end user is aware of this, otherwise unpredictable things can happen (as demonstrated by this series of posts).
Thanks for the feedback!
I've added a ticket to the tracker:
http://bugs.teechart.net/show_bug.cgi?id=658
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software