Delphi XE6 Starter + TeeCharts Standard

TeeChart VCL for Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero RAD Studio, Delphi and C++ Builder.
Code-Hugger

Delphi XE6 Starter + TeeCharts Standard

Post by Code-Hugger » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:26 am

To start teaching myself Delphi, I installed Delphi XE6 Starter Edition. (Never written a single line of Delphi)
I then purchased and installed TeeCharts Standard 2014

I'm simply trying to verify that I have everything installed and configured properly by compiling and running a demo project.
I downloaded the demo projects from https://github.com/Steema. They include:

DBChart aggreegates
TeeChartOffice
TeeMaps
TeeNew
TeePerfMonitor

I cannot compile or run any of them. For example:
When I try to open the TeePerfMonitor.dproj file, I get "Class TChart not found"
If I hit CANCEL, the project loads but when I try "Run Without Debugging" I get "File not found: 'TeeDefs.inc'

I obviously did something wrong. This IDE is totally foreign to me. Did TeeCharts not setup my include paths?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Code-Hugger

Re: Delphi XE6 Starter + TeeCharts Standard

Post by Code-Hugger » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:43 am

[Update]

I think I had (and may still have) several problems. Can anyone tell me if I did this correctly?
  1. No TeeChart components were listed under > Component > Install Packages... > Design Packages
    My attempted remedy:
    1. > Component > Install Packages... > Design Packages > Add > Selected: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steema Software\TeeChart Standard 2014 for RAD XE6\Delphi20.win32\Bin\DclTeeStd920.bpl
    2. I tried all the .bpl files I could find at this and other locations but the others appear to be for higher versions of Delphi. This is the only .bpl file I could find for my Delphi Started Edition.
    3. I now have the following packages listed under > Component > Install Packages... > Design Packages. And a "TeeChart Std" section now appears on my Tool Palette.
      • TeeCharts 2014 Components (For RAD Studio XE6 Starter)
  2. My IDE include paths not set properly
    My attempted remedy:
    1. > Project > Options... > Directories and Conditionals > Include File Search Path > Added: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steema Software\TeeChart Standard 2014 for RAD XE6\Delphi20.win32\Include
  3. Library paths not set properly
    My attempted remedy:
    1. > Tools > Options... > Environment Options > Delphi Options > Library > Library Path > Added: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steema Software\TeeChart Standard 2014 for RAD XE6\Delphi20.win32\Lib
  4. I believe the demo projects contain components that aren't included in my Delphi Starter Edition
    My attempted remedy:
    1. Created a new empty project and threw a chart component in it and then compiled and ran it like this:
      • > New > Project > VCL Forms Application (Delphi)
      • > Tool Palette > TeeChart Std > TChart > Dropped it on my form
      • > Project > Build Project (Shift+F9) > Built without errors.
      • > Run > Run > Ran without errors ... finally a small win!

jens.mertelmeyer

Post by jens.mertelmeyer » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:58 am

I believe you did everything right. The reason you did not have those paths at all is that you probably installed TeeChart with another account you're running the IDE with? TeeChart setup adds the paths to HKEY_CURRENT_USER. If the administrator (or whatever) you used to install is not the same account you're running the IDE from, it obviously does not know about the added paths.

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:43 am

Hello,

As Jens indicates, you did everything correctly.
And as you've presumed, the features demo includes some dependencies to ADO that isn't included in the Starter edition of the IDE.
Note the binary installation already comes with the sources of the demo (see the Examples folder in the installation) and it also includes a precompiled exe of the same. So you should be able to see it in action even if you can't implement the ADO features in your projects.

And welcome to TeeChart, to these forums and to Delphi world!
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software
Av. Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia (SP)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Please read our Bug Fixing Policy

Code-Hugger

Post by Code-Hugger » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:52 pm

Thanks for both replies. I appreciate your time and look forward to learning Delphi.

jens.mertelmeyer

Post by jens.mertelmeyer » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:58 pm

Have fun! I'm also still rather new to Delphi (started in 2013). It has a few quirks but altogether, I'm rather happy with it.