Which to use?: TWaterFallSeries vs. TPoint3DSeries

TeeChart VCL for Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero RAD Studio, Delphi and C++ Builder.
steve lacerte

Which to use?: TWaterFallSeries vs. TPoint3DSeries

Post by steve lacerte » Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:24 am

In a recent post, I was having an issue with the maximim grid size ( 2000x2000, according to the MaxAllowedCells const in TeeChart v5.02 ) that exists for the TWaterFallSeries since I'm trying to exceed that number of data values on the X axis. I have since realized that because all I'm REALLY trying to do is display a series of simple ( no surfaces, just lines ) data lines in 3D fashion, that the use of TWaterFallSeries is perhaps overkill, since it's a TSurfaceSeries derivative. By setting various properties to each TWaterFallSeries, I was able to achieve the simple data line look that I desired, it's just that I hit the above limitation with large series. It seems that what I can ( and should? ) more appropriately use is a bunch of TPoint3DSeries objects to represent my simple series lines in 3D fashion. Correct? ( this is my 1st question )

Assuming this is correct, I try this in a test app by displaying 5 TPoint3DSeries lines on 5 different Z-orders in a TChart that is set up to be 3D. It seems to display quite nicely except for the following feature that I wonder how to "turn off".

As stated above, all I want to display is simple lines but the series lines display ( apparently by default ) with little colored boxes at each series point. Is there any way to remove these? ( this is my 2nd question )

Thanks!

Marjan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Marjan » Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:08 am

Hi, Steve.
more appropriately use is a bunch of TPoint3DSeries
Yes. Or alternatively, list of regular line series, each with different Z position (in case z are indexed integers i.e. 0,1,2,3,4...). If this is not the case, the using collection of TPoint3DSeries is the way to go.
with little colored boxes at each series point
The following code should hide point border:

Code: Select all

point3DSeries1.Pointer.Pen.Visible := False;
Or if you want to remove series pointers all together, set point3DSeries Pointer.Visible property to False;
Marjan Slatinek,
http://www.steema.com