Wrong Edition of TeeChart Pro??

TeeChart VCL for Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero RAD Studio, Delphi and C++ Builder.
Code-Hugger

Wrong Edition of TeeChart Pro??

Post by Code-Hugger » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:53 am

Hi,
over the past week......
1> I purchased Delphi Starter Edition
2> I purchased TeeCharts Standard and installed.
3> I then upgraded from Delphi Starter Edition to RAD XE6 Enterprise Edition
4> I then upgraded from TeeCharts Standard to TeeCharts Pro

I just installed TeeCharts Pro for XE6. When I opened the component list, it show TeeCharts Pro for XE6 Starter but I have Enterprise. I originally had the Starter edition but upgraded to Enterprise.
When I looked at the installed TeeChart files, it appears that it only installed the ones for Delphi Starter Edition (See attachments).

1> I selected REMOVE for all of the installed TeeChart components and then ran the TeeChart uninstaller. It appeared all traces of TCharts were gone from my computer.

2> I then ran TeeCharts installer again but got this error: "Old TeeChart Standard files found at: C:\Program Files(x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\14.0\Lib Those files should be moved to a backup folder. Continue?"

3> I looked in that folder but didn't know what needed moved. There are MANY sub-folders and files. So I clicked "continue" but when it was done, there were no installed components listed and no library path to TCharts. I then noticed that TeeChart Pro had again only installed files for Delphi Starter (see attachment).

Any ideas?
Attachments
Installed.jpg
Only Delphi TeeChart Files
Installed.jpg (140.59 KiB) Viewed 13435 times
Ent.png
Enterprise
Ent.png (68.96 KiB) Viewed 13374 times

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Wrong Edition of TeeChart Pro??

Post by Yeray » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:23 pm

Hello,
Code-Hugger wrote: I just installed TeeCharts Pro for XE6. When I opened the component list, it show TeeCharts Pro for XE6 Starter but I have Enterprise. I originally had the Starter edition but upgraded to Enterprise.
When I looked at the installed TeeChart files, it appears that it only installed the ones for Delphi Starter Edition (See attachments).
There are three TeeChart commercial installers: Pro, Standard and SourceCode. There's no specific installer for Starter editions of RAD Studio. Instead, all the mentioned installers provide a complete set of packages and a set of packages without references to BDE for the Starter edition ([Dcl]Tee[Pro]Std, where Std means for "Starter Edition IDE"). Here it is a short legend for the nomenclature:

These are the packages for the Starter Edition of the IDEs:
- DclTeeStd*: TeeChart VCL Standard for Starter IDEs.
- DclTeeProStd*: TeeChart VCL Pro for Starter IDEs.
- DclFMXTeeStd*: TeeChart FMX Standard for Starter IDEs.
- DclFMXTeeProStd*: TeeChart FMX Pro for Starter IDEs.

The rest, without "Std", are for the complete IDEs:
- DclTee*: TeeChart VCL Standard.
- DclTeePro*: TeeChart VCL Pro.
- DclFMXTee*: TeeChart FMX Standard.
- DclFMXTeePro*: TeeChart FMX Pro.

On the other hand, having TChart component in the "Standard" tab in the palette doesn't mean you have TeeChart * for Starter Edition, nor TeeChart Standard. Note TeeChart Standard that is shipped with the IDE is placed in this "Standard" tab and installing any other version mail fail when trying to move this from a section to another on the palette, even if it points to a different version of the component. To be sure about what version you have installed, open the list of Packages in the IDE ("Component /Install Packages...") and check what bpls are selected.
Code-Hugger wrote:1> I selected REMOVE for all of the installed TeeChart components and then ran the TeeChart uninstaller. It appeared all traces of TCharts were gone from my computer.
Yes, this should clean the IDE and the installation folder and should restore the Standard version that was shipped with the IDE.
Code-Hugger wrote:2> I then ran TeeCharts installer again but got this error: "Old TeeChart Standard files found at: C:\Program Files(x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\14.0\Lib Those files should be moved to a backup folder. Continue?"
This is not an error, just a warning message. When the installer finds the Standard version is installed in the system, it informs you the same installer will backup the according files.
Code-Hugger wrote:3> I looked in that folder but didn't know what needed moved. There are MANY sub-folders and files. So I clicked "continue" but when it was done, there were no installed components listed and no library path to TCharts. I then noticed that TeeChart Pro had again only installed files for Delphi Starter (see attachment).
You don't need to manually move anything. The installer moves everything for you when you click "Continue".
The image looks as a normal TeeChart Pro installation.
As indicated above, open the list of Packages in the IDE ("Component /Install Packages...") and check what bpls are selected. You should have these selected:
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Steema Software\TeeChart 2014 for RAD XE6\Delphi20.win32\Bin\DclFMXTeePro920.bpl
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Steema Software\TeeChart 2014 for RAD XE6\Delphi20.win32\Bin\DclTeePro920.bpl
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Steema Software\TeeChart 2014 for RAD XE6\Delphi20.win32\Bin\DclTeeMaker120.bpl
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Steema Software\TeeChart 2014 for RAD XE6\Delphi20.win32\Bin\DclTree2D20Tee9.bpl
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software
Av. Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia (SP)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Please read our Bug Fixing Policy

Code-Hugger

Post by Code-Hugger » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:44 pm

Thank you for that explanation. So I only need those four .bpl files installed...that helps allot. I saw many more of those type files in the other sub-folders. I have uninstalled EVERYTHING at this point (even the IDE and supporting programs). When I re-install, my IDE initially shows Teechart lite and TeeChart Standard listed but neither is checked. Should I delete those before installing TeeChart Pro or does it matter? I want to be certain this time so that I don't have to start over again. It's very time consuming. Thanks again.

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:01 pm

Hello,
Code-Hugger wrote:Thank you for that explanation. So I only need those four .bpl files installed...that helps allot. I saw many more of those type files in the other sub-folders. I have uninstalled EVERYTHING at this point (even the IDE and supporting programs). When I re-install, my IDE initially shows Teechart lite and TeeChart Standard listed but neither is checked. Should I delete those before installing TeeChart Pro or does it matter? I want to be certain this time so that I don't have to start over again. It's very time consuming. Thanks again.
You don't need to start over! You can just play with the packages list and with the library path.
If you install the IDE with TeeChart Standard packages selected, TeeChart Pro installer will warn you before making the backup of these packages, and you should end with a completely equivalent installation than if you didn't select the Standard packages on the IDE installation.
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software

Code-Hugger

Post by Code-Hugger » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:15 pm

Ok. The "starting over" came after many hours of frustration last night. I became convinced there must have been some residual software or registry keys from my previous Delphi Starter edition installation that was causing the drama. This all started because the component list said something like "TeeChart for RAD Studio XE6 Starter." That may not be an exact quote but it did contain the word 'starter' and that convinced me to try again. It made sense to me because I had just upgraded from the Starter edition. Oh well, sounds like you provided me the information I need. I'll check all of this out this evening (I'm at work now). Thank you!

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:28 pm

Hello again,
Code-Hugger wrote:Ok. The "starting over" came after many hours of frustration last night. I became convinced there must have been some residual software or registry keys from my previous Delphi Starter edition installation that was causing the drama. This all started because the component list said something like "TeeChart for RAD Studio XE6 Starter." That may not be an exact quote but it did contain the word 'starter' and that convinced me to try again. It made sense to me because I had just upgraded from the Starter edition. Oh well, sounds like you provided me the information I need. I'll check all of this out this evening (I'm at work now). Thank you!
If you find the packages in your IDE aren't the ones you would like, you can remove them manually in the list, or just unselect them, and add the correct ones manually.
Yeray wrote:You don't need to start over! You can just play with the packages list and with the library path.
More on this. FYI

Q: What TeeChart version do I have installed on my IDE?
A: There are different ways to check this.
1. Check the bpls installed:
- Open the IDE.
- Open the list of Packages ("Component /Install Packages...")
- See what DclTee*.bpl(s) are present in the list and selected.
- Open the Windows Explorer and go to the path where the bpls are.
- Open the release.txt in that installation path. It should be two levels up. What is the build number on the top of the release.txt?

2. Check the About:
- Open the IDE.
- Create a new VCL/FMX project.
- Drop a TChart component into the Form.
- Right-Click on the chart and select "About TeeChart...". What is build number on this Window?

Q. Fine. So, I build my project, I'm building it with this TeeChart version, right?
A: Not necessarily. In the question above, we've checked the Design Time packages installed, so this is valid for the design.
But the projects are built with the packages found in the Library path set in the IDE or in the project (and for C++Builder projects, also with the headers found in the IDE/project include paths), so you should also check the correct paths are on the top of the according list. See this post to see what are the paths for each platform.

Q: What if the packages in the IDE are not the correct ones?
A: You can change the list manually or use the installer or TeeInstall.
- Manually: Remove the wrong packages from the list and add the correct ones from the TeeChart installation folder /DelphiXX.win32/Bin/
- Installer: The installer runs TeeInstall utility (always in "install mode") to put the correct packages on the list of packages in the IDE.
- TeeInstall: This utility can be found in the TeeChart installation folder. When you run it, it checks if TeeChart Pro/Standard is installed in the IDE. If it finds it it asks you if you want to uninstall the packages from the IDE (uninstall mode). If it doesn't find TeeChart Pro/Standard installed in the IDE, it asks you if you want to install the packages of the "current path\DelphiXX.win32\Bin" into the IDE (install mode). It also adds the according paths into the Library/Include paths but we always suggest to manually check them as in the Q/A above.

As a final note, please make sure you are running installers, utilities and also the IDE with high privileges so the according operations to the registry can be made.
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software

Code-Hugger

Post by Code-Hugger » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:01 pm

Q: What if the packages in the IDE are not the correct ones?
Running the TeeInstall sounded like the simplest option. It asked if I wanted to install TeeCharts and I clicked 'YES." In spite of the fact that it would tell me TeeCharts was installed, it wasn't. Continued clicking of the TeeInstall script (as administrator) kept asking if it wanted me to install (never uninstall) so I followed your instructions to install the library paths and .bpl files manually. I believe everything is now setup properly. This is a great forum. Thank you for such a detailed explanation!

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:51 am

Hello,
Code-Hugger wrote:Running the TeeInstall sounded like the simplest option. It asked if I wanted to install TeeCharts and I clicked 'YES." In spite of the fact that it would tell me TeeCharts was installed, it wasn't. Continued clicking of the TeeInstall script (as administrator) kept asking if it wanted me to install (never uninstall)
I'm sorry to hear that! It sometimes fails to fully install TeeChart so starting TeeInstall again doesn't find it installed.
Code-Hugger wrote:so I followed your instructions to install the library paths and .bpl files manually. I believe everything is now setup properly.
Yes, a manual check is the best option to be completely sure about what packages you have installed.
Code-Hugger wrote:This is a great forum. Thank you for such a detailed explanation!
Thanks! I hope we can reuse this little FAQ redirecting people to that post or creating a more detailed FAQ.
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software