No transparency when using outline

TeeChart VCL for Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero RAD Studio, Delphi and C++ Builder.
Metman
Advanced

No transparency when using outline

Post by Metman » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:14 am

Hi

I noticed this problem a while ago, but now its just getting to me!
Capture1.png
Capture1.png (26.93 KiB) Viewed 11310 times
When I add an outline to a line series and add an outline width=3, color=clYellow and transparency=50% I don't get any transparency when I overlay the series on top of another series.

I don't in fact get any transparency either when working in the chart editor in the IDE.

This functionality always worked well in previous versions.

Bruce.

Sandra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: No transparency when using outline

Post by Sandra » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:39 pm

Hello Bruce,

I am afraid the problem you are experiencing doesn't occur for me, the outline transparency works fine here. Could you please arrange a simple project where we can reproduce the problem here because we can find a good solution for you?

Thanks in advance,
Best Regards,
Sandra Pazos / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

Metman
Advanced

Post by Metman » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:12 pm

Hi Sandra

I have created a project and I get exactly the same results.

The problem might be how I think the chart editor works. I thought logically that the transparency of the outline was controlled by the track bar in the first screen shot. Now I have looked a bit deeper this is probably not correct, because when I look at the object inspector I don't seen any transparency property for outline to match the value in the track bar.
Capture6.png
Capture6.png (41.26 KiB) Viewed 11297 times
Capture7.png
Capture7.png (43.35 KiB) Viewed 11288 times
If I set transparency at this level (see second screen shot) the line and the outline do become transparent.

I thought because there are two track bars for transparency one is for the line, and one is for the outline, and the transparency for line and outline are independent of each other, because maybe the outline is drawn first and line is drawn on top. If this isn't the case what is the purpose of the track bar in the first screen shot?

Bruce.

Sandra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sandra » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:25 pm

Hello Bruce,

I would like inform you that the Series transparency property work in a global way and it controls as default the transparency of line and OutLine. The Outline transparency property is a local property that only controls OutLine transparency. We consider the properties work correctly; therefore the behaviour you are experiencing with both properties is correct.

Thanks in advance,
Best Regards,
Steema Software

Metman
Advanced

Post by Metman » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:51 pm

Hi Sandra

Thanks for this info which is what I expected the functionality was supposed to do.

All I can say it doesn't work that way for me with Delphi XE6, and what I think is the latest available version of TeeChart.

Do you have any demo programs that you have that show this functionality working?

I could then run the code and see if the problem disappears?

Bruce.

Sandra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sandra » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:34 pm

Hello Bruce,

Thanks for the information. The problem you are experiencing occurs only when you work in GDI canvas instead of GDI+ We've added the problem in VCL TeeChart bugzilla tracker to fix it to upcoming versions of TeeChartVCL with number ID867. Feel Free to add your email account to the ticket so you can be automatically notified when and update arrives.
Meantime, if you want, you can use GDI+ canvas instead of GDI canvas to work without problems. Moreover, I have prepared for you an example, where Outline property of Series works fine in GDI+ Canvas. The example also contains the executable. Please send an email to info at steema dot com with your licensing details and a reference to this thread and we will send you the project.

Thanks in advance,
Best Regards,
Steema Software