THighLowSeries

TeeChart VCL for Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero RAD Studio, Delphi and C++ Builder.
xmetman

THighLowSeries

Post by xmetman » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:45 pm

Hi

Is there still a problem with the fill in a THighLowSeries?

I could send you the code, but its fairly simple. I drop a chart on a form add a THighLowSeries with a color fill. If I save,close and reopen the form the fill has disappeared, never to return.

I thought that it might have been fixed in the September update - is there a work round for this problem?

I've tried without any luck to get it to display a 70% transparent color fill.

Bruce.

jens.mertelmeyer

Re: THighLowSeries

Post by jens.mertelmeyer » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:55 pm

Weird. Pressing Alt+F12 twice also makes the THighLowSeries forget it's filling mode. It always adds a line

Code: Select all

HighBrush.Style = bsClear
to the DFM file. Very weird.

As a workaround, you just need to call

Code: Select all

yourHighLowSeries.HighBrush.Style := TBrushStyle.bsSolid;
at runtime (your form/frame constructor, for example) once.

xmetman

Post by xmetman » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:18 am

Hi Jens

Thank you once again - you seem to be one step ahead of all the problems I am finding!

I suppose this is also a known bug that didn't make it into the September update. This is really bad, the whole point of using a high low series is that you will use a fill.

Are you now part of Steema support because Yeray has perhaps moved on?

Looking at the frequency of postings to the VCL section on this forum it does make me wonder how many people are actively using either TeeChart and/or Delphi anymore.

Bruce.

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:35 am

Hi Jens,

It looks the same it was discussed here and reported here
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software
Av. Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia (SP)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Please read our Bug Fixing Policy

jens.mertelmeyer

Post by jens.mertelmeyer » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:15 pm

xmetman wrote:Looking at the frequency of postings to the VCL section on this forum it does make me wonder how many people are actively using either TeeChart and/or Delphi anymore.
More than you think. I have been following all that Rosetta/Philae stuff and I've seen quite some VCL + TeeChart applications on their screens :-)
Also, people only post if they stumble upon problems. Moreover, only people with an active running subscription cast post.

But apart from that, I'm also a bit puzzled that some rather simple bugs (at least they seem to me) are kept open for so long.

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:09 am

Hi Jens,
jens.mertelmeyer wrote:But apart from that, I'm also a bit puzzled that some rather simple bugs (at least they seem to me) are kept open for so long.
There's a number of variables affecting the time to close an item in our bug tracking system such as the complexity of the problem, the study of the possible collateral damages, the number of issues with a higher priority that claims our team's attention, the number of customers affected, if there is a workaround suggested or not, the percentage of the component that is affected, the relation cost/benefit of the implementation,...
An initial study is made by a technician when adding/confirming a ticket to decide a Severity to assign it. Of course nothing is definitive and we are happy to revise it when demanded.
What can you, as a customer, do to push us to invert resources on a ticket?
- You can add your mail to the CC list of the ticket.
- You can add a comment and/or an attachment in the ticket if you find it will help us to understand/reproduce it easier.
- You can post here in the forums asking us for the ticket status and/or asking us to increment the ticket severity.
- If you are a source code customer, you can try to find a fix yourself and suggest us to implement it.
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software

xmetman

Post by xmetman » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:19 pm

Hi Jens

That fix works for Delphi 2007 but not for Delphi XE6 as far as I can see which is most frustrating!

Yeray

I read your reply with interest - I don't particularly like your fourth point about Do-It-Yourself fixes to bugs in TeeChart - I simply don't have the expertise to be able to do this - and that's why I bought TeeChart in the first place - to help me create attractive charts quickly.

I have been a visual programmer since 1995 when Delphi first appeared. I have invested in three different versions of TeeChart over the years from you, and when I drop a High Low series on a form I fully expect to be able to flood fill the area between the lines in any color. If that doesn't work then its not much use. Any productivity gains that I may have made are worth little if I have to apply so many work rounds.

I have spent the last six months migrating numerous applications that use TeeChart that I created in Delphi 2007 and get them to recompile in Delphi XE6, there seemed to be little backward compatibility between the latest version and TeeChart 8, everything needed tweaking, and quite a few things like the color fill issue, are still not working. I have never found TeeChart particularly easy to work with and that's why I have requested help on countless occasions in the past and I am very grateful for this. At the moment it appears to me that TeeChart is in a terminal decline I just hope that I am wrong.

Bruce.

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:12 am

Hello Bruce,
xmetman wrote: That fix works for Delphi 2007 but not for Delphi XE6 as far as I can see which is most frustrating!
The workaround (setting HighBrush.Style to bsSolid at runtime) seems to work fine for me with v2014.12 and RAD XE6.
Could you please check the paths?
xmetman wrote:I read your reply with interest - I don't particularly like your fourth point about Do-It-Yourself fixes to bugs in TeeChart - I simply don't have the expertise to be able to do this - and that's why I bought TeeChart in the first place - to help me create attractive charts quickly.
I'm sorry, don't take me wrong! We don't consider that 4th point as the preferable way to go either. I just considered it was worth to mention having the sources opens that door. We are always happy to hear suggestions and critics about the code we've written.
xmetman wrote:I have been a visual programmer since 1995 when Delphi first appeared. I have invested in three different versions of TeeChart over the years from you, and when I drop a High Low series on a form I fully expect to be able to flood fill the area between the lines in any color. If that doesn't work then its not much use. Any productivity gains that I may have made are worth little if I have to apply so many work rounds.
I'm sorry for the inconvenience that bug generated. I've set a higher "importance" to the ticket.
xmetman wrote:I have spent the last six months migrating numerous applications that use TeeChart that I created in Delphi 2007 and get them to recompile in Delphi XE6, there seemed to be little backward compatibility between the latest version and TeeChart 8, everything needed tweaking, and quite a few things like the color fill issue, are still not working. I have never found TeeChart particularly easy to work with and that's why I have requested help on countless occasions in the past and I am very grateful for this. At the moment it appears to me that TeeChart is in a terminal decline I just hope that I am wrong.
The last TeeChart VCL v8 version was published on March 2011. So, a jump from v8 to the actual v2014 means several years (more than 3) of changes in the library.
As you probably know we always try to keep backwards compatibility. However, sometimes the implementation of a new feature forces us to break it intentionally, and sometimes I'm afraid we also commit mistakes breaking existing functionalities. That's why we offer the different support channels, always trying to efficiently identify & solve any problem or request that may be reported.
At this point, the time until we can fix a bug or implement a new feature depends on variables such as the complexity of the problem, impact and the number of issues with even higher priority that claims our team attention.
If there's any specific issue (or a list of issues), reported or not, you want us to give you an update on their status, please don't hesitate to let us know.
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software