Please to not force new options!!!!!

TeeChart VCL for Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero RAD Studio, Delphi and C++ Builder.
Whookie

Please to not force new options!!!!!

Post by Whookie » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:57 pm

As a matter of latest additions to the TChart components there is a big amount of changes like the "Hover series" feature.

I can understand that you are eager to present them to your users but after an update those features are enabled and if you have a project with alot of TCharts/dynamic series and such it is a real pain to check, if all is the same as it was before an update!
Getting notifications from customers who don't like or don't understand such changes isn't funny too (one tends to always overlook something)!

So PLEASE (PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE) try to be more conservative!!!!

New stuff stays DISABLED by default (maybe only enable it if a Series/Chart is added in the IDE - this way a developer can react)!!

If you change the grafical behaviour of series (see my last report regarding THistogramSeries http://www.teechart.net/support/viewtop ... 60eb19b64d) which have such a big impact, please
have an OPTION to turn on (or off - whichever seems to fit better) the new behaviour (explitcitly turning on is MUCH better then need to turn it off, except a bug needs to be prevented).

TIA

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Please to not force new options!!!!!

Post by Yeray » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:04 pm

Hello,

Backwards compatibility is an aspect we pay special attention to when implementing new features and bug fixes.
However, sometimes the implementation of a new feature forces us to break backwards compatibility intentionally. And I'm afraid other times we also break existing functionalities unintentionally, and there appears a new bug. That's why we offer the different support channels, always trying to efficiently identify & solve any problem or request that may be reported.

Regarding #2, I'm still not sure if that's a bug. I invite you to follow the discussion at the according thread.
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software
Av. Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia (SP)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Please read our Bug Fixing Policy

Whookie

Post by Whookie » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:48 pm

Of course I didn't address unintentional behaviour - one is never save of that :D ...

I did mean things like the Hover - feature it is turned on by default. This way I had to go through all my source-code to turn that feature off!

Edit:
And it's not because I don't like it, it is because it doesn't serve any purpose (beside disturbing the user), when there is no meaningful implementation behind it!

jens.mertelmeyer

Post by jens.mertelmeyer » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:28 pm

I totally agree about not enabling breaking changes by default. I already raised that issue (the hover effect) almost a year ago: http://www.teechart.net/support/viewtop ... =3&t=15216

It is cool, yes. But it breaks the behaviour of existing applications.

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:58 pm

Hello,

We don't agree Hover is breaking backwards compatibility because a chart created with an older version can work with the latest version.
We decided to activate this new feature by default because we thought it was an enhancement. I'm sorry to hear you don't like it, but we think it gives better looking charts per default, and this is also an aspect we have to care about.
Finally note you can disable it with a single line of code.
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software
Av. Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia (SP)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Please read our Bug Fixing Policy