Install problems with TeeChart Pro 2017.23 problems

TeeChart VCL for Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero RAD Studio, Delphi and C++ Builder.
Metman
Advanced

Install problems with TeeChart Pro 2017.23 problems

Post by Metman » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:39 pm

Hi

I have repeatedly tried to install TeeChart Pro using the latest version of the 2017.23TeeChartVCLFMX-2017.23.exe installer (non-source code).

Although the install seems to works fine it leaves behind the previous TeeChart Std folder in the toolbar palette.

Although it does create a TeeChart folder in the tool palette, the new version of the main TChart component is left behind in the TeeChart Std folder.

Although the library paths are correct they don't work.

I've seen the topic on library paths which says that I should replace them with this:
\Delphi25.win32\Lib
but they remain greyed out because of course they can't find the path.

I must have installed and reinstalled now at least six times now.
I've even re-downloaded the installer.
I've installed to different folders.
I've added previous versions.
I've added the missing GDI .hpp files to the relevant folder.

Nothing seems to work.

There is a brand new Windows 10 PC.
This is a clean install of the latest version of Delphi 10.2 update 2.
I have just installed the latest version of the TMS component pack without the slightest problem.
I've even built and installed the old Abbrevia TurboPower packages for XE2 without a hitch.

Is this problem somehow related to Update 2?
Surely this is not just happening to me?
Any help will be gladly appreciated :D

Bruce.

web

Re: Install problems with TeeChart Pro 2017.23 problems

Post by web » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:09 pm

I have the exact same problem on Windows 7 and I tried to solve the problem in the same way

Metman
Advanced

Post by Metman » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:59 pm

It's nice to know that its not just me!!

I believe that the install of the TeeChart Pro application has somehow managed to screw up my library paths - don't ask me why.

I have just spent the last hour or more uninstalling and reinstalling RAD Studio 10.2 and all my components again.

When I did the RAD Studio install again I left the TeeChart Standard check box unchecked.

I've reinstalled every component set now testing after each one.

Everything is working fine as it was before I did the initial install of TeeChart Pro.

It sounds crazy but I'm now very apprehensive about attempting to install TeeChart Pro because it might screw it all up again :(

web

Post by web » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:55 am

I also tried it without other additional Packages, with and without TeeStandard and the latest TeeChart2017.23 Source Recompile Version.

That happens when i try to Start Delphi:
Attachments
delphi_err3.JPG
delphi_err3.JPG (47.65 KiB) Viewed 24190 times
delphi_err2.JPG
delphi_err2.JPG (47.72 KiB) Viewed 24181 times
delphi_err1.JPG
delphi_err1.JPG (47.18 KiB) Viewed 24184 times

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:32 am

Hello Bruce,
Metman wrote: Although the install seems to works fine it leaves behind the previous TeeChart Std folder in the toolbar palette.

Although it does create a TeeChart folder in the tool palette, the new version of the main TChart component is left behind in the TeeChart Std folder.
If the Pro installation ended successfully, the design time pacakges should have been replaced, even if the TChart component hasn't moved to the new folder in the toolbar. Note you can drag and drop the components in the toolbox.
To know what components you have installed, check the list of packages, not the toolbox.
VB6_2018-01-29_11-18-01.png
VB6_2018-01-29_11-18-01.png (32.71 KiB) Viewed 24163 times
So, even if the installation should have moved the TChart component to the new folder in the toolbox, if it fails, you can move it manually or you can leave it where it is.
Metman wrote: Although the library paths are correct they don't work.
What error are you getting?
Metman wrote: I've seen the topic on library paths which says that I should replace them with this:
\Delphi25.win32\Lib
but they remain greyed out because of course they can't find the path.
Do you mean the post here?
These paths are always "relative" paths. Relative to where you installed the components. By default, TeeChart Pro v2017.23 is installed at:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steema Software\Steema TeeChart Pro VCL FMX 2017.23"

So the default library path for RAD 10.2 Tokyo Release 2 is:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steema Software\Steema TeeChart Pro VCL FMX 2017.23\\Delphi25\Delphi25.win32\Lib"

Do you have that folder in your machine's hard drive?
Metman wrote:I must have installed and reinstalled now at least six times now.
I've even re-downloaded the installer.
I've installed to different folders.
I've added previous versions.
I've added the missing GDI .hpp files to the relevant folder.

Nothing seems to work.
I'm so sorry to hear you've lost so many time trying to get TeeChart to work!
Please, tell us what RAD Studio version are you using and what error message do you get when opening the IDE (with no project loaded) after installing TeeChart Pro.
Metman wrote:Is this problem somehow related to Update 2?
Yes. Note Embarcadero published RAD Studio Tokyo Release 2 (25.0.28979.1978) and a few days later they published an important Hotfix (25.0.29039.2004) (ref here):
We have updated RAD Studio 10.2.2 to address an issue that caused incompatibility problems for a number of third party components.This build (build 2004) replaces the previously released RAD Studio 10.2.2 build (build 1978).
We released TeeChart v2017.23 after this hotfix was publised, so:
- TeeChart v2017.22 binary version supports RAD Studio Tokyo Release 1 (not Release 2 with or without the Hotfix).
- TeeChart v2017.23 binary version supports RAD Studio Tokyo Release 2 with the Hotfix, not any previous version.
- There's no TeeChart binary version supporting RAD Studio Tokyo Release 2 without the Hotfix.
- Both TeeChart v2017.22 and v2017.23 source code versions support all RAD Studio Tokyo versions: Release 1, Release 2 without the Hotfix and Release 2 with the Hotfix.
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software
Av. Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia (SP)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Please read our Bug Fixing Policy

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:35 am

Hello,
web wrote:I also tried it without other additional Packages, with and without TeeStandard and the latest TeeChart2017.23 Source Recompile Version.

That happens when i try to Start Delphi:
Do you get the same messages if you open the IDE with high privileges (as administrator) and with no project loaded?
Are you using RAD Studio Tokyo Release 2 Starter, Pro, Enterprise or Architect?
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software

Metman
Advanced

Post by Metman » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:13 pm

Hi Yeray

I spent all day Friday emailing to Ara and your technician about the problems that I'm encountering, and I'm very surprised that he didn't inform you about them.

I do realise that you can move components from one folder in the palette to another.

I didn't do it because that should be a job the installer does and it might be part of a bigger problem in the install process.

As I said in my post - I've reinstalled Delphi 10.2.2 and all components apart from TeeChart Pro.

This time I didn't install the TeeChart Std components so that shouldn't be a problem.

I am reluctant to try and reinstall for the seventh time because I am doubtful that this will resolve anything, and I suspect either the install or uninstall messed up my paths somehow.

Are you 100% sure that there is not an issue with your latest install when using Delphi 10.2.2?

Bruce.

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:05 pm

Hello Bruce,
Metman wrote:I spent all day Friday emailing to Ara and your technician about the problems that I'm encountering, and I'm very surprised that he didn't inform you about them.
I'm afraid I don't remember being informed about this case specifically. I'll verify with them.
Let me apologize for the inconvenience generated.
Metman wrote:I do realise that you can move components from one folder in the palette to another.

I didn't do it because that should be a job the installer does and it might be part of a bigger problem in the install process.
I've seen this issue other times before without affecting the installation in any other manner. That's why I suspect it isn't related to the other problems you are experiencing.
However, it doesn't mean the installer can't be improved in different aspects.
Metman wrote:I am reluctant to try and reinstall for the seventh time because I am doubtful that this will resolve anything, and I suspect either the install or uninstall messed up my paths somehow.
If TeeChart installer/uninstaller is breaking the IDE, it would be really a critical bug, and we'd need to reproduce the problem here asap so we can see what's wrong and fix it.
However, I understand you don't want to break it all again.
As I said above, I'll check with my colleagues to see what did they find.
Metman wrote:Are you 100% sure that there is not an issue with your latest install when using Delphi 10.2.2?
There's always place for environments that haven't been tested or even considered. However, before releasing a version we always test the installers in a few machines to verify they work on a few different machines with different configurations.
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software

Metman
Advanced

Post by Metman » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:12 pm

Yeray

I've just had an email from Ara and replied to that.

I've re-installed again and have got the same problem.

Bruce.

Metman
Advanced

Post by Metman » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:12 pm

Yeray

I've just had an email from Ara and replied to that.

I've re-installed again and have got the same problem.
hoaebpaclnflkhbo.png
hoaebpaclnflkhbo.png (5.57 KiB) Viewed 24163 times

Bruce.

Metman
Advanced

Post by Metman » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:17 pm

All is now well and with the help of Sandra, who spotted that I was not running the latest version of Delphi, which should have been:=

Rad Studio 10.2 update 2 version 25.0.29039.2004

I have wasted what must add up to about 8 hours of my time getting this install to work.

So let that be a salutary lesson to all of you out there with the latest copy of TeeChart Pro and Delphi Rad Studio - just make sure you have the latest version.

Now I can get back to the programming, components are great, but they can be a real pain when you update them, your PC and your IDE.

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:39 am

Hello Bruce,

I'm glad to hear it's finally working for you.
I'll edit my first reply above, specifying TeeChart v2017.23 requires RAD Studio 10.2 Tokyo Release 2 with the Hotfix.
I thought Embarcadero informed all RAD Studio 10.2 Tokyo customers their Release 2 had a bug they fixed a few days later, with that Hotfix. That's why I didn't even think on that possibility.
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software