Delphi 2005 Installation Issue

TeeChart VCL for Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero RAD Studio, Delphi and C++ Builder.
Andrew S

Delphi 2005 Installation Issue

Post by Andrew S » Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:18 pm

I downloaded TeeChart7.02 installer for Delphi 2005 this morning from the customer downloads area. After having installed it, every time I try to open the Tools -> Options dialog within Delphi, a window pops up 9 times in a row saying "Object reference not set to an instance of an object". After clicking OK 9 times, the Options dialog opens.

What's going on?

Andrew S

Post by Andrew S » Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:31 pm

In addition, I just noticed that when I create a new VCL Forms Application, and add a new TeeChart component from the "Additional" components, when I right-click on it, it says it's version 4.04. I believe this is the version which came with Delphi 2005.

Pep
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pep » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:12 am

Hi Andrew,

have you installed the TeeChart Pro v7.02 from sources ? It only works fine installing from sources (you can use the TeeRecompile tool included in the source code installer).

Andrew S

Post by Andrew S » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:14 pm

No. I don't have access to sources, as far as I'm aware. Why would you provide a binaries installer that doesn't work, or am I just reading that wrong?

Andrew

Pep
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pep » Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:32 am

Hi Andrew,

the binaries installer for Delphi2005 is not available in the private customers download page, where have you read ? Most likely you download the installer for Dephi2005 beta, which we've been testing, but finally have decided to only offer the "source code" version when you want to use it with Delphi2005.

Andrew S

Post by Andrew S » Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:25 pm

I downloaded it from here.

http://www.teechart.net/files/vcl/publi ... Pro7/v702/

It doesn't say anything about beta. The page linking to that folder listing,

http://www.steema.com/cgi-bin/teeget3.cgi

... says

"Binary installers include compiled packages (and assemblies for Delphi 8.NET and Delphi 2005), compiled demos, source code of demos, help files, tutorials and TeeInstall.exe tool."

...and had a link saying "Click here to download version 7.02", which wasn't there the previous day. This is what made me think there was finally a binaries installer available for download.

I don't mean to seem impatient, but it's been almost a month now, and I still can't continue development of a couple applications which have come to rely on TeeChart. What are the chances of finding some solution winthin the next week, be it binaries or source? When I made the decision to upgrade to Delphi 2005, I was assured that...

Quote:

"Hello Andrew,

Delphi 2005 comes with good old Teechart 4.04 Standard (only for Win32 apps).

The latest TeeChart v7.01 compiles just fine under D2005 Win32 and D2005 VCL.NET so you can expect TeeChart for Delphi2005 installer shortly.

Needless to say, these difficulties are a little discouraging.

Thanks for your attention in this matter,

Andrew

Pep
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pep » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:13 am

Hi Andrew,

yes, you're correct, it can be downloaded. I remember some customers having problems to install it, but seems to be resolved now. I've just download the TeeChart7.02Delphi2005.exe installer from our web site and tried to install it into a clean Delphi2005 and all is working fine :
Borland Developer Studio for Microsoft Windows Version 9.0.1761.24408 Update 1.(in a Windows Server 2003).
Are you using the latest installer ?

Andrew S

Post by Andrew S » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:02 pm

I figured out the problem.

Previously, I was talking with a Borland Customer Support, and they had me add an argument to my Delphi shortcut which would start Delphi in debug mode. Debug mode uses a separate registry branch for the Known Packages, which your installer obviously doesn't modify. As soon as I removed the argument, placing Delphi out of debug mode, TeeChart started loading properly. I'll have to get in contact with Borland to resolve the first issue in a different way.

I am left with two final questions... Previous to my upgrade, I was using TeeChart 7.01. There seem to be a few minor changes in 7.02. Namely:

There doesn't seem to be a series1.color property anymore. It seems as though color information is stored for each individual point rather than the entire series. If I'm using a lineSeries, will series.linepen.color do the same thing as previously?

Secondly, I was using chart1.Legend.Top and chart1.legend.Left to move my legends around in the code. There is now no longer such a property. How would I modify the position of my legend in code now. Obviously, I can read chart1.Legend.RectLegend.Top/Left, but I can't write to them.

Thanks for your assistance,

Andrew

Andrew S

Post by Andrew S » Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:19 pm

Actually, after a bit of experimentation, I'm having a few problems. I'm noticing a number of properties listed in the object inspector aren't available in code. For instance, as I mentioned before, I get a "Undeclared identifier: Left" when I try to reference Chart1.Legend.Left in code, though the "Left" preperty is available in the object inspector.

Similarly, when I try to compile my program, I get the debugger error

"Error reading Chart1.Legend.Symbol.Width: Property Symbol does not exist"

...even though I can view and modify the value of Symbol through the object inspector, as well as through the TeeChat editor accessed when you double click the chart.

Suggestions?

Marjan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Marjan » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:16 am

Hi, Andrew.

Perhaps the problem is there are still some old TeeChart files in $(BDS)\Lib folder. Try moving TeeChart v7 library path to the first position in Library path list so that Delphi will find and use new TeeChart dcu/dcp units instead of the TeeChart v4 Standard units, located in BDS\3.0\Lib\ folder. This can be done via the "Tools->Options->Library - Win32" menu. Then just click on the button besides the "Library path" list, select the path which points to TeeChart v7 \Lib\ folder and move it to the first place in the list.
Marjan Slatinek,
http://www.steema.com

Andrew S

Post by Andrew S » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:41 pm

That worked!!

...I'll admit I'm a little surprised, but extremely pleased!

Thanks for your help,

Andrew