TeeChart QRChart component in Delphi 2007 not installed

TeeChart VCL for Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero RAD Studio, Delphi and C++ Builder.
Claus Nielsen

TeeChart QRChart component in Delphi 2007 not installed

Post by Claus Nielsen » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:37 am

I have TeeChart Pro 8.0 VCL version installed in Delphi 2007 and also QuickReport Pro 1 developer Version: 4.
They both show up on the tool palette with all components except tQRChart.
- I can see that others have had great problems getting this component installed. - Do you know of a clean procedure that will do the trick?

Claus Nielsen

Post by Claus Nielsen » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:44 pm

OK, I found out how to install the tQRChart (compiled the DclTee8QR4D11.dpk, located the resulting .bpl file - which strangely was dumped in the directory of the latest opened project and installed the component). The component shows up on the Tool Palette and it seems to work during the design phase. However, I cannot clear the series in the TQRchart from another unit when running the program. A simple test that reveals the misery is to add a new form, dump a tQReport on it, add a tQRChart, view the form as text (works fine) and then try to view the form as a form again: at this point i get the message: Error creating Form, Acces violation at address .. etc. .. in module 'rtl100.bpl' , read of address .. etc.
- Any ideas????

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:01 pm

Hi Claus,

I've tested it and works fine for me with TeeChart v8.02 + QuickReport v4.07 + Delphi 2007.

Did you follow the instructions I posted here? You only should change TeeChart's v7 file and path names to v8 according to your environment.

Anyway, I've sent the sources and compiled files I used to your registered mail.
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software
Av. Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia (SP)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Please read our Bug Fixing Policy

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:07 pm

I've also, like many others here, had problems getting the TQRChart component to install properly. I'm running:
Windows XP, Delphi 2007 (in RAD Studio), QuickReport 4 Standard (this one from the CodeGear website - made available for BDS 2006 users but meant to work with Delphi 2007), TeeChart Pro 8.02

First of all, am I wasting my time trying to get this to work with QuickReport Standard? Do I need to go and buy their Pro version? Do I need to recompile all of TeeChart from source to work with QuickReport Standard?

I've looked around on this forum, and followed the instructions at the link you gave above - updating some of the names & paths for the different TeeChart and QuickReport versions, using the '8QR4D11' files (which don't refer to Qrpt) instead of the 'QR811' ones, and changing the requires reference from QR4RunD2007 to QR4StdRunD2006

Things mostly work until step 16, when I get the error:
"Can't load package Tee8QR4D11. The system cannot find the file specified"
This appeared to be down to RAD Studio insisting on putting all compiled files in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\RAD Studio\5.0 , despite the fact I changed the output directories as instructed. So I manually copied Tee8QR4D11.bpl and Tee8QR4D11.dcp over to the relevant QuickReport\compiled directory and tried it again. Still gave me the error, but I assumed the files were in the right place now, so it might be OK.

So I carried on, and it gave me the same error for DclTee8QR4D11. I copied the files manually again.

On finishing the instruction steps and restarting Delphi, I was able to install the 'TeeChart 8 for QuickReport 4' package, and the TQRChart component was then available to me on the Tool Palette. I can put a TQRChart on a new VCL form, but if I save all then try to compile, I get:
"[DCC Error] Unit2.pas(7): F1026 File not found: 'QrTee.dcu'"

Any suggestions? QuickReport Standard does have a different directory structure (no bpl subdirectory) and likes to install itself in C:\Program Files\Borland\BDS\4.0QRStandard and has a couple of files in C:\Program Files\Borland\BDS\4.0 (I tried both letting it do that, and making it install in C:\Program Files\CodeGear\RAD Studio\5.0\4.0QRStandard instead; neither way works)

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:17 pm

Hi Nick,
On finishing the instruction steps and restarting Delphi, I was able to install the 'TeeChart 8 for QuickReport 4' package, and the TQRChart component was then available to me on the Tool Palette. I can put a TQRChart on a new VCL form, but if I save all then try to compile, I get:
Have you tried adding the path of the folder were QrTee.dcu is to the search path list at Project->Options->Directories/Conditionals?

Hope this helps!
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:59 pm

narcis wrote:Hi Nick,
Have you tried adding the path of the folder were QrTee.dcu is to the search path list at Project->Options->Directories/Conditionals?

Hope this helps!
That would be C:\Program Files\Steema Software\TeeChart 8.02 for Delphi 2007\Delphi11\QuickReport ?

It's already in my search path after following the instructions.

There isn't any other copy of QrTee.dcu on my drive. Should there be?

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:27 pm

Hi Nick,

It seems to me a problem of finding necessary packages from the first error you reported. You shouldn't receive any error when compiling TQRChart packages. Have you checked that packages giving errors where properly referenced?
Best Regards,
Steema Software

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:06 pm

No joy. I managed to get the TQRChart packages to build without error eventually, just by building each 3 times, copying files to the right directory in between steps. (I also moved QR4StdRunD2006 higher up in the 'requires' list, in case that was a problem). Even tried doing it a different way by using where it insists on putting compiled files (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\RAD Studio\5.0) instead of C:\Program Files\Steema Software\TeeChart 8.02 for Delphi 2007\Delphi11\QuickReport\compiled

But the result's the same each time: it can't find QrTee.dcu when it quite clearly is there and on its search path.

So the problem looks like one of two things, maybe: RAD Studio not putting compiled files where it should do (a few other posters on here have found it doing this too, I think); or the fact I'm using QuickReport Standard - has this ever been tested with QuickReport Standard rather than Pro?

I'll try installing things on a different machine later, and if that doesn't work, I'll try buying the latest QuickReport Pro - better than wasting my time trying to get it to work as it is, and I may end up needing it in any case.

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:24 pm

Hi Nick,

You could try adding the path of qrtee.pas (unit sources) instead of qrtee.dcu (compiled unit).
Best Regards,
Steema Software

Nick

Post by Nick » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:00 pm

narcis wrote:Hi Nick,

You could try adding the path of qrtee.pas (unit sources) instead of qrtee.dcu (compiled unit).
That's also C:\Program Files\Steema Software\TeeChart 8.02 for Delphi 2007\Delphi11\QuickReport - already there.

Anyway, I solved the compiling problem. It turned out to be something quite odd. The PLATFORM environment variable was causing Delphi to override my output path with the default one (hard-coded output paths seem to be a new and not entirely welcome development since Delphi 2007). So I overrode the what the PLATFORM was set as (BPC) with AnyCPU, and it compiled to the right directory, with no errors. Delphi then (as long as I saved a project first) claimed to know what TQRChart and TQRDBChart were, and where QrTee was.

However...
My problems aren't over. A form will compile with a TQRChart on, but when it runs, you get an access violation (as quite a few other people have found), so it still isn't much use.

Is there something I'm missing that isn't in the instructions linked to above? I keep finding other copies of the TQR installation instructions (for different versions) with slightly differing advice - like setting project options to "Rebuild as needed", or deleting a load of TQRChart files before compiling (though admittedly, these won't be there anyway the first time). This can be a bit confusing, especially when I'm not using the same Delphi/QuickReport/TeeChart combination as any of them.

Should I be copying some more .bpl/.dcu/.dcp/.pas/whatever files to other places that haven't been mentioned?

Could TQRChart be relying on something in the QuickReport Pro version that isn't in the free Standard version? Could that cause the runtime error I'm now seeing?

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:25 am

Hi Nick,

The access violation you're getting makes me think that you maybe haven't copied the compiled Tee8QR4D11.bpl file to your widows' system32 folder.

Please, could you verify it?
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:36 am

Have done. Just double-checked now, and it's there. I remember that you added that as a step in the instructions, and I am getting the same error as the one in the thread where you mentioned it ('read of address 00000008').

Could it somehow be a wrong version of Tee8QR4D11.bpl I have in there? Even though it's the one I just compiled while following the instructions. Again, I wonder if it's down to using the standard, free QuickReport version (though I'm wary of stumping up £175 for their pro version that may or may not fix the problem)

What is it exactly that having the .bpl files in the system32 directory does - just provides a standard place for Windows to look for the compiled library?

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:15 am

Hi Nick,

Then I'll try to reproduce a similar environment to yours and try to build the packages. Maybe you have another configuration in delphi 2007 that is causing some conflict because you shouldn't have more problems installing TQR. It should work for any version of QuickReport.

But I demand you to be a little bit patient. At this moment I've cleaned my RAD studio (uninstall previous teechart and quickreport pro, deleted residual directories and cleaned search and library path at RAD studio) and I'll start with the installation procedure as soon as I'll get the QuickReport Standard you mention.
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:03 am

Hi Nick,

I've been able to compile and run TQR in a similar environment to yours. ickReport Std, then TeeChart v8. Finally I've built the TQR packages changing some files at requires list. Then I've closed Delphi, moved the files to appropriate places, and installed TQR when reopened Delphi 2007.

I've sent to you mail the sources I used and the compiled files produced. Note that you'll need to place the files in appropriate place:

- DclTee8QR4D11.bpl at Rad Studio's bin folder.
- *.dcp and *.dcu at Rad Studio's lib folder.
- Tee8QR4D11.bpl at windows' system32 folder.

Also you'll need to copy the bpls provided by Teechart installer (C:\Program Files\Steema Software\TeeChart 8.02 for Delphi 2007\Delphi11\Bin) to Rad Studio's bin folder.

Then you should be able to open Delphi 2007 and add and run the component DclTee8QR4D11.bpl from delphi's bin folder.

I hope this helps!
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:38 pm

Thank you very much, Yeray. That seems to work perfectly!

(I take it you meant DclTee8QR4D11.bpl from RAD Studio's bin folder in that last step)

Is this sort of approach - if in doubt, make everything available directly to RAD Studio in its own folders, and don't bother with adding search paths - the best way to resolve awkward problems like this in TeeChart?

Thanks again for taking the time to fix the problem for me.

Nick