Using .NET 3.5 and .NET 2009 (4.0) on the same machine

TeeChart for Microsoft Visual Studio .NET, Xamarin Studio (Android, iOS & Forms) & Monodevelop.
LibDundas

Using .NET 3.5 and .NET 2009 (4.0) on the same machine

Post by LibDundas » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:00 pm

I have been using .NET v3.5 for a while now and recently purchased an upgrade to .NET 2009 (4.0). Since I have applications to support that are using v3.5 (and I cannot upgrade them to the newest version), what is the best way to have both of these on the same dev machine using VS2008?

Since v3.5 was already set up and installed (on the dev machine and in the Toolbox), I had to install .NET 2009 as well. The installation went fine but the new chart tool wasn't in the toolbox. I added the TeeChart.dll as explained here, but I am noticing some different behaviour with v2009.

The image below shows a new application and a TChart 2009 object on the form. When I right click on the chart, I do not see the same context menu that I have with v3.5. Is this something that was removed in 4.0?

Also notice the TChart control icon difference in the Toolbox between v3.5 and .NET 2009.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2292646/tchart2009_error.png

Sandra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Using .NET 3.5 and .NET 2009 (4.0) on the same machine

Post by Sandra » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:52 am

Hello LibDundas ,
I have been using .NET v3.5 for a while now and recently purchased an upgrade to .NET 2009 (4.0). Since I have applications to support that are using v3.5 (and I cannot upgrade them to the newest version), what is the best way to have both of these on the same dev machine using VS2008?
You can have two versions installed at once, simply you must sure that the project if you made uses the correct dll version3 or version 4. Also, you should check assembly folders as explain here.
The image below shows a new application and a TChart 2009 object on the form. When I right click on the chart, I do not see the same context menu that I have with v3.5. Is this something that was removed in 4.0?
I could reproduce your problem, using last version of TeeChart.Net. I have added it in list of bug report with number [TF02014574] and we will try to fix it for next versions of TeeChart .Net. But I recommend that, initial setup you would do to Design-time, you make to run-time using InitializeChart() or directly in FormLoad.

Thanks,
Best Regards,
Sandra Pazos / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

LibDundas

Post by LibDundas » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:08 pm

Sandra wrote:I could reproduce your problem, using last version of TeeChart.Net. I have added it in list of bug report with number [TF02014574] and we will try to fix it for next versions of TeeChart .Net.
For other TeeChart users, I found a work-around in the meantime, although this isn't ideal. If you add a Series using the Visual Studio .NET Properties of the tChart control, you can then right click on the axis in the bottom of the VS.NET IDE and click EDIT. This will display the "TeeChart Editor". You can then edit any Chart or Series properties in here.

LibDundas

Post by LibDundas » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:13 pm

Sandra wrote:I could reproduce your problem, using last version of TeeChart.Net. I have added it in list of bug report with number [TF02014574] and we will try to fix it for next versions of TeeChart .Net. But I recommend that, initial setup you would do to Design-time, you make to run-time using InitializeChart() or directly in FormLoad.
Hi Sandra, I have noticed this throughout my use of TeeChart in version 3.5 and again in 4.0. If I make changes in the Design-time environment, those changes are not always carried out during run-time. This is very inconvenient because it takes time to make changes, find out they don't always get honored in run-time, and then figure out the corresponding code so that I can add them to an InitializeChart() method.

If there is a TeeChart Editor window to edit the properties at Design-time, I would expect that these properties actually get set and are carried out during run-time. I believe this is something that Steema should invest heavily in since the design-time, "TeeChart Editor" properties windows is much easier to modify and one of the major reasons why some customers (including myself) chose this product over competing ones.

Thanks for adding it as a bug.

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:50 pm

Hi LibDundas,

We are constantly modifying TeeChart sources trying to improve its functionalities, add new ones and fix its problems. In this process we pay special attention to our customers feedback and we think that these forums are a quite nice communication channel.

So please, take a look in this forums to see if the problems you refer have already been reported and identified. If not, please, try to explain them to us in a as simple way to reproduce as possible, so that we can find where the main problem is in each case and we'll try to fix them.
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software
Av. Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia (SP)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Please read our Bug Fixing Policy

LibDundas

Post by LibDundas » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:16 pm

Yeray wrote:Hi LibDundas,

We are constantly modifying TeeChart sources trying to improve its functionalities, add new ones and fix its problems. In this process we pay special attention to our customers feedback and we think that these forums are a quite nice communication channel.

So please, take a look in this forums to see if the problems you refer have already been reported and identified. If not, please, try to explain them to us in a as simple way to reproduce as possible, so that we can find where the main problem is in each case and we'll try to fix them.
Thanks for the reply Yeray (and the help Sandra). I have been happy with TeeChart so far and the support and response on this forum has been fast and very helpful so I am still a happy customer :D

I only mentioned the design-time tChart Properties 'bug' because of Sandra's comment:
But I recommend that, initial setup you would do to Design-time, you make to run-time using InitializeChart() or directly in FormLoad.
This made me think that if this is a common suggestion, then the problem is more prominant than I originally expected. I noticed this issue in the past, but never thought twice about it. The problem that I am seeing is that some changes made in the design-time "TeeChart Editor" are not carried out in run-time and that I was required to create an InitChart() method to hard-code these properties. I am not sure what specific properties result in these problems however.

Yeray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yeray » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:04 am

Hi LibDundas,

The ChartEditor is "only" a custom form that changes some properties, creates new series, tools,... In fact is the same any customer could implement by himself. The problem is that, as TeeChart is continuously changing and given the complexity of the ChartEditor, sometimes there is a checkbox, or something in the editor that alters a set of properties, that may change its behaviour. That's the main reason why when a customer finds an incoherence in the editor, we recommend him to do what he expected manually while at the same time we try to identify and add the problem to the wish list.
Best Regards,
ImageYeray Alonso
Development & Support
Steema Software
Av. Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia (SP)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Please read our Bug Fixing Policy

LibDundas

Post by LibDundas » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:03 pm

Hi Yeray, thanks for the reply. I will try to be more diligent at reporting any inconsistencies that I notice with the Design-time ChartEditor (those times when I have to set chart properties manually in code).

Thanks! I will continue using the work-around to open the chart properties.