[WPF] How to set TeeChart.licenses file for a plugin assembly

TeeChart for Microsoft Visual Studio .NET, Xamarin Studio (Android, iOS & Forms) & Monodevelop.
Oleg

[WPF] How to set TeeChart.licenses file for a plugin assembly

Post by Oleg » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:08 pm

I use steema.teechart.net.4.2019.8.8 for WPF development. I need to specify a license in a non-exe assembly (A) which uses Steema.TeeChart.WPF.TChart control because I don't have an access to executing assembly (B). To do that I:
  • added TeeChart.licenses file as embedded resource to assembly A project.
  • added a "plugin-constructor" call "new TChart(this)" before creation of any other TChart controls (where "this" is an instance of a type from assembly A).
But this didn't work, I still see "This is an EVALUATION version ..." during runtime; while designtime everything is fine.

Can you please advise how to specify TeeChart.licenses not for an executing assembly, but for assembly actually using TChart?

Christopher
Guru

Re: [WPF] How to set TeeChart.licenses file for a plugin assembly

Post by Christopher » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:36 pm

Have you tried adding the EntryAssembly attribute to the AssemblyInfo of your non-exe assembly (A)? The gif here shows you how to do this (in the context of an ASP.NET app).
Best Regards,
Christopher Ireland / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Instructions - How to post in this forum

Oleg

Post by Oleg » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:51 pm

Doesn't help. Not sure how could it help though. It is used just to call Assembly.GetEntryAssembly (for WPF-app case) which returns starting-app assembly. Or am I missing something?

I need to embed license not in a starting app assembly, but in dependency assembly which actually uses TChart.

Christopher
Guru

Post by Christopher » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:47 am

Hello,
Oleg wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:51 pm
I need to embed license not in a starting app assembly, but in dependency assembly which actually uses TChart.
Even if you don't have access to the executing assembly, if you drop the TeeChart.licenses file into the same directory as the executable and the two class libraries (your wrapper class library and TeeChart) then the Chart will appear without a watermark.
Best Regards,
Steema Software

Oleg

Post by Oleg » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:41 pm

I am aware of that. But discovering pure license file in output dir looks a bit too much. Also it means that any 3rd party assembly in app dir can use TChart without own license.

1. Do I understand correctly that plugin-constructors are not supported in Steema.TeeChart.WPF?
2. Do I understand correctly that there are no plans to implement plugin-constructors (or other similar functionality) for Steema.TeeChart.WPF?
3. Do I understand correctly that distributing pure copies of TeeChart.License file with the app is a workaround recommended by Steema for cases like mine?

Christopher
Guru

Post by Christopher » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:04 pm

Our concern is that our class library could be wrapped in another class library with full licencing - and so without a watermark - only to be resold. This would be in clear violation of our license agreement.

It is for this reason that the only publically available option, in the very exceptional case that a client does not have access to the executing assembly, is copying a valid TeeChart.licenses file into the directory from which it is executed.

If you feel you have a valid business reason why you don't have access to the executing assembly and at the same time want to embed the TeeChart.license into a wrapper class library, could you please expose this reasoning in an email to sales@steema.com, at which stage our business and legal managers will decide your case.
Best Regards,
Steema Software

Oleg

Post by Oleg » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:34 pm

OK, thank you Christopher. From your message I assume that "yes" is the answer for all 3 of my questions.
So plugin-scenario is not supported by TeeChart anymore.

For further readers there is also a compromise option to create "steema.resources" resource-file at starting assembly location and put there a resource named "TeeChart" containing the license. Though it definitely not plugin-usage scenario.

Christopher
Guru

Post by Christopher » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:46 pm

Oleg wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:34 pm
For further readers there is also a compromise option to create "steema.resources" resource-file at starting assembly location and put there a resource named "TeeChart" containing the license. Though it definitely not plugin-usage scenario.
There is indeed the possibility of wrapping the TeeChart.licenses file in a resources file which has to be named 'steema.resources' and dropping this into the starting assembly location. Of course this does not circumvent the problem you identified of license reuse.
Oleg wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:34 pm
OK, thank you Christopher. From your message I assume that "yes" is the answer for all 3 of my questions.
So plugin-scenario is not supported by TeeChart anymore.
Just to be clear - if you wish to embed both the TeeChart.licenses file and the TeeChart.WPF.dll in a class library produced by your company, please write to sales@steema.com and our business and legal managers will attend to your request.
Best Regards,
Steema Software