TeeChart for .NET v2024 [9 FEB 2024] RELEASE 2024.2.9

TeeChart for Microsoft Visual Studio .NET, Xamarin Studio (Android, iOS & Forms) & Monodevelop.
Gemma
Advanced

TeeChart for .NET v2024 [9 FEB 2024] RELEASE 2024.2.9

Post by Gemma » Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:08 am

Greetings!

Steema is pleased to inform you of the availability of new build 2024.2.9 for the TeeChart for .NET.

The new update includes TeeChart .NET Pro and Business edition binary installers.

Customers with active license subscription can download new Nuget package from website:

TeeChart .NET Pro - www.nuget.org/packages/Steema.TeeChart.NET/4.2024.2.9
TeeChart .NET Business - www.nuget.org/packages/Steema.TeeChart. ... 5.2024.2.9

Version history for TeeChart .NET can be viewed at the product release notes.
Best Regards,
Gemma Gibert
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
Instructions - How to post in this forum

sydro_consult

Re: TeeChart for .NET v2024 [9 FEB 2024] RELEASE 2024.2.9

Post by sydro_consult » Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:13 am

Dear Steema,

could you please be a bit more transparent about the development of TeeChart?

Legend Checkboxes were supposedly to be deprecated and be "replaced with Legend sensitive items configurable with font strikethrough or opacity change" (Bug#2635).

There were a couple of recent releases where this was already implemented, but they were quite buggy (2023.11.17, 2023.12.14).

Then, in version 2024.1.19 these changes were suddenly gone and the old legend checkboxes were back!

In all of the above cases, I posted about my experience with the release and asked questions about it (see the linked posts above). Unfortunately no replies were ever made.

How do you expect people to rely on TeeChart as a library in their applications if features are first declared as deprecated (not even in an announcement, but deep down in some forum thread), then some unfinished implementations of the replacement are released (not as beta versions, but indistinguishable from normal releases), and then, in subsequent releases, the changes are suddenly gone again? How am I to know what upcoming versions will bring?

In my view, Steema needs to:
* communicate better about deprecated features (in advance!)
* improve documentation of what is changed in which version (keep a proper changelog!)
* distinguish between release and beta versions

I have been using TeeChart for years (decades even), but the problems described above have now finally lead me to switch to a different (open-source) charting library. In my view, the only advantage that TeeChart offers compared to similar libraries is the inbuilt chart editor. But for me, this advantage has become outweighed by the disadvantages in dealing with uncertainties in new versions and bad communication by Steema. It is just not worth the license fee for me anymore.

All of this is meant as well-meaning advice.

Marc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Marc » Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:45 am

Thank you for the feedback and sorry if it is, as indeed it seems, that we have lost you as a customer.

There were some particularly difficult problems to resolve with the migration of TeeChart for NET with framework 4 during the second part of last year. A proposal made, earlier on in the year, to bring framework 4 and framework 6+ builds closer together by sharing some later assembly dependencies didn't work well due to some unforeseen circumstances at framework level.

We invested considerable development time in rolling back a part of the underlying FR4 framework support with a specific view to not to break existing customer code. Unfortunately Legend checkboxes were a critical area because of the dependency that came directly from lower tier, MS assemblies.

I agree we didn't handle that as well as we could of and were slow off-the-mark to put it right. We will review completely the functionality area that you have described, an area for which we dialogued extensively throughout the process, to see what we may have missed and what we still have pending to put right.

Thanks once again for your feedback.

Regards,
Marc Meumann
Steema Support

Marc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Marc » Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:11 am

Please note:
Replies to version announcements are not monitored and will be missed by technical staff; We are reviewing and locking announcements where that has not been the case.

We request that all support posts be created as a new thread to the active forum area.

With thanks.
Steema Support