Licensing problem with the latest public release

TeeChart for Microsoft Visual Studio .NET, Xamarin Studio (Android, iOS & Forms) & Monodevelop.
Andre

Licensing problem with the latest public release

Post by Andre » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:13 pm

Hi,
Our company purchased TeeChart .NET v.1 with source code package. By that time it was public release November 2004, Build 1.1.1769.19457. Recently I have downloaded a new version 14th Feb. 2005 11:50 AM, Build 1.1.1864.22788 and have been completely disappointed after installation because I could not manage to tune designtime lisensing despite of using of Tutorial 17 and TeeReg.exe.

1. My config is XP SP2, VS 2003, .NET 1.1.4322 SP1

2. I used TeeReg.exe to create registry keys for designtime support. I checked that apropriate keys are created accordigly to Tutorial 17.

3. When I attempt to put TChart component to the WinForm I get error message "An exception occured while trying to create an instance of Steema.TeeChart.TChart The exception was: An instance of type was being created and a valid license could not be granted for the type ....Please contact".

Tutorial 17 says that IDE should add a Licenses.licx file when I attempt to use Tchart but it does not. Then, it is mentioned that if IDE does not add a lisense file then you should do it yourself (just use Utils.licx file provided in the Utils folder). There is not such file there!!!

I attempted to create a licenses.licx file myself and fill it with strings mentioned in tutoril but it didn't help. licsx compiler gives error (LC0004).

Any ideas?

Marc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Marc » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:49 pm

Hello,

The steps you followed appear to be correct.

- Can you run the TeeChart desktop example project?
- Can you open the example project in VS.NET and compile it/run it?

Please check that there are no prior versions of teechart.dll on the path or Net's assemblyfolders locations.

The licenses.licx file should be automatically added to a Winform project when a Chart is added to a Form if the license is read properly from the registry so if that isn't happening the problem most probably lies in the content of the key or the reading of it. Your point 3 indicates that. We have come across a licensing problem on some double-byte language installations and will put up a maintenance release shortly. A pre-release test teechart.dll will be placed on the website tomorrow (Friday 25th Feb).

What language operating system are you using?

You are correct with your observation that the licenses.licx file is not in the utils folder. Apologies for that omission, we'll correct it asap. In the meantime a copy of the file has been placed here:

http://www.steema.com/files/public/licenses.zip

or may be copied from one of the Steema demo project folders.

If the above checks fail please revert to the November version temporarily whilst we finalise checks on the new licensing problems. Licensing control has been added in answer to customer requirements to facilitate the distribution of TeeChart to a runtime environment without enabling its use for development in the runtime location.

Apologies for the inconvenience.
Regards,
Marc Meumann
Steema Support

Andre

Post by Andre » Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:19 pm

Hello Marc,

Thank you for quick repsonse. Answering your questions:
1. I can run TeeChart example project from
"...\Steema\TeeChart for .NET v1\Examples\DemoProject\bin\ExecutableDemo\TeeChartNetExamples.exe"
2. I can start VS with this project but cannot open any form/control containing TeeChart due to the exeception mentioned in my previous post.
I cannot compile project getting LC0004 error.
3. I use English Windows XP (with Asian support files installed...but I assume thta this is not relevant to the issue)

Adding license file to own my project have no effect.

May be this MSKB article give you a hint why it does not work on my system..
http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;826009

thank you in advance.

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:46 pm

Hello Andre,

A new version has been posted to our customer download area to solve those problems as anounced here.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum