Upgrading from trial to full system

TeeChart for Microsoft Visual Studio .NET, Xamarin Studio (Android, iOS & Forms) & Monodevelop.
Peter Thurston

Upgrading from trial to full system

Post by Peter Thurston » Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:17 pm

I've been using TeeChart Active X for some years and recently trialled the dot net version for an application on our remote web server. This is a shared web server running dot net which we have ftp access only.

The trial ran fine and when it ran out I purchased a development copy and extra runtime. I was assured by the vendor that no special installation was required, as I have no way to run utilities on the web server or doing anything other than put files. I assumed I would be able to simply drop a new verson of the teechart.dll

Seems this is not the case as the trial version puts entries in the registry. I am now advised I must run the installer, which I can't do. Is there any way round this problem, if not I have just wasted my purchase.

With Thanks

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:24 pm

Hello Peter,

It should work putting the new .dll files into the server if the application has been compiled in a machine with the same design-time .dll version.

In fact, that's the way how our live ASP examples, included with the installers work.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

Peter Thurston

Post by Peter Thurston » Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:43 pm

Narcis

Thanks for getting back to be so quickly. I downloaded your latest service relrease (Feb 25th) - compiled my app and uploaded but seem to get the same error. Curiously a similar problem I see from one of the other threads:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Steema.TeeChart.FrAccessProvider.GetLicense(LicenseContext context, Type type, Object instance, Boolean allowExceptions)

Peter Thurston

Post by Peter Thurston » Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:49 pm

Reading the other thread it seems I have no licx file in my c# visual studio project. Come to that after installing (and rebooting) I can find no reference to TeeChart in VS2003 (no icon and no mention in view->toolbars). Could it be that I am not coding the license in dll?

Marc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Marc » Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:07 pm

Hello,

If there is no Steema section in the tool palette a problem may have occurred during installation.

Was there any error message when running the installer?

Are you able to run the executable demo on the installed machine?

As a separate note relating to licensing, please refer to Tutorial 17 for details. You may use the 'add to project' option from within VSNET to add the licenses.licx file to your project from a copy placed in the TeeChart Utils folder.

Once compiled into the application only the web application files themselves and the teechart.dll are required on the server ...no additional registry keys are required unless temporary files are used (no change from eval version) and no special steps are required to support the licensed runtime application on the server.

Regards,
Marc Meumann
Steema Support

Peter Thurston

Post by Peter Thurston » Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:35 pm

Weeeee - it works. Adding the licx file did the trick, definitely a case of RTFM on my part. Thanks for your help.

Still no icon on VS2003 - no errors were seen in installation. Not so important as I tend to use the c# API but it would be nice to have it at some point. I'll try a re-install.