Mono.net

TeeChart for Microsoft Visual Studio .NET, Xamarin Studio (Android, iOS & Forms) & Monodevelop.
NoName

Mono.net

Post by NoName » Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:15 am

I know, this is not the properly right place, but there is ".NET" in the subject, isn't it? :roll:

In a poll on this site, there is a question: "Are you using Mono.Net?".
Well, according to Google search, Mono.Net is "Comprehensive resource for Australian music information, encompassing both the recognised and the undiscovered. Artists listed by genre."

Is that correct? And why that question on a graph forum? :?:

Regards

MTB

Post by MTB » Sat Nov 29, 2003 1:03 am

OK, I'll bite. (I assume this is a series question.)

http://www.go-mono.com/c-sharp.html

Question 1: What is Mono exactly?

The Mono Project is an open development initiative sponsored by Ximian that is working to develop an open source, Unix version of the Microsoft .NET development platform. Its objective is to enable Unix developers to build and deploy cross-platform .NET Applications. The project will implement various technologies developed by Microsoft that have now been submitted to the ECMA for standardization.

Question 2: What is the difference between Mono and the .NET Initiative?

The ".NET Initiative" is a somewhat nebulous company-wide effort by Microsoft, one part of which is a cross-platform development framework. Mono is an implementation of the development framework, but not an implementation of anything else related to the .NET Initiative, such as Passport or software-as-a-service.

Mono includes: a compiler for the C# language, a runtime for the Common Language Infrastructure (also referred as the CLR) and a set of class libraries. The runtime can be embedded into your application. It implements of both ADO.NET and ASP.NET.

The Mono runtime engine is considered feature complete.

The Mono C# compiler is considered feature complete at this point and relatively mature. MCS is able to compile itself and many more C# programs (there is a test suite included that you can use). It is routinely used to compile Mono, roughly half a million lines of C# code.

NoName

Post by NoName » Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:45 am

Thank you for your reply, it was a serious question.

So, nothing to do with australian music :oops:
I wonder why Google search did not mention it...
Maybe, if the compiler takes too long, a separate task could play an australian song... :D

Just joking!